Friday, October 13, 2017

ROW80 Round 4 2017

One of these days, I'll get it right. I'll start writing in the fall and just keep going. Maybe I can make it happen for 2017-2018.

I love to write, but life has not been kind over the past few years, what with brain surgery and then having my life taken over by work. One thing I have found to be absolutely true is complete rest from work improves creativity for me. Getting my brain to understand that it is okay to completely unplug is not easy. My work includes making sure people stay safe and mostly don't die. Unfortunately, this is not always easy.

GOALS FOR THE ROUND: (All learning goals, as being too prescriptive makes me twitchy and increases my stress.)

1. Experiment to see what level of writing I can maintain with work and while continuing yoga daily or almost daily. And run-walk-run at least 2 times a week to prepare for 2018 Missoula Marathon. Measurement: I have something more than 250 words daily on average and yoga and run-walk-run on my calendar. Easy to see if I continue to track it.

2. Find the balance that allows me to be interactive with others and write to allow for continued motivation. I know that I am an extrovert and will start losing my drive if I have no contact with others. I need the balance of helping and encouraging with anything else I do.  (Maybe add work on a how-to book that will allow this as I write my fiction.)
Measurement: I continue to enjoy my writing and it does not start making me feel stressed out to get to my word goal. Very subjective. Have no headaches. Objective.

3.Win NaNo with STYLE. By that, I mean, go to write-ins, moderate the hell out of the forum I am responsible for and rock the ML thing. It will be my third year, but I have never done it WELL. This is the year of Montana::Elsewhere.
Measurement: Count the interaction and aim for posts from me at least twice a week and an updated calendar on the site. Beat interaction of last year. (Easy as there was none)

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love your attitude towards NaNo! Go, you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of learning goals, Rebecca. They're more likely to motivate you to great things--at least that's what the research I've read says.

    Thinking about your need as an extrovert and a writer... being a NaNoWriMo ML is a great start. Have you considered hosting write-ins all year, not just for the WriMos? (This is something our local NaNo ML does, with help from her assistant. We meet weekly, but perhaps that might be too intrusive for your schedule. Perhaps once or twice a month?)

    Beyond that... sounds like you ave some great ideas going. Keep developing them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oohh, Kymele, I had not thought of write-ins all year, that sounds so fun. I have some great WriMos in my area, and some are writing all year round, so this may be doable. Maybe twice a month as a starting goal. Gonna noodle on this a bit. Thanks!

      Delete