Sunday, October 8, 2017

NaNo Prep

Getting ready to jump into NaNoWriMo in November. I have no idea what to write this year, but I do know I am going to do a combination of computer and hand writing. I found last year's hand writing to be wonderful and connecting to the writing so much better, but there were days I wanted to get 10,000 words and just could not manage it by hand. I am not sure how to make this combination/hybrid happen, yet, and it may take a bit of trial and error to get it right...or write? Hehe.

I have had wins in all the years I have attempted NaNo, but I have not edited anything for publication, yet. I would like to get back to ROW 80, which is a year round writing project that allows for writing or editing and encourages each other through 80 day rounds. I loved it when I did it back in 2014 and completely forgot about it.

This year will be different than any of the years since I started NaNoWriMo because, ladies and gentlemen, I have my life back! I changed jobs, giving notice last year in December after a search that lasted almost a year. It was emotional, draining, and difficult. The aftermath has been wonderful, and it is delightful how happy I can be doing the same job that was killing me. I have more creativity in my job and am taking better care of myself physically and emotionally than I ever have. Adding writing back to my life will be challenging, but one I am savoring.

I have wondered if I changed from extrovert to introvert over the last few years. My job took over my life. I was working 11 hour days 4 days a week and then adding another 8-12 hours of charting on the computer on top of that on the weekend, usually on Sunday. I forgot what church feels like, and could not have made it if I wanted to. Now, I get to choose, go to church, rest, play, listen to what I need, rather than what I have to do. This rest allows for greater creativity and better attention to my work, which is patients and their illness or health. I have my life back!

I am going to a core class offered by my employer, and finding out all kinds of things. It is twice a week, and I attend a yoga class once a week in person and do home practice daily. There is no way with my former job that I could have obligated myself to this schedule. I needed more rest. I needed ALL the rest when I was not working. It still was not enough. Now, I am going to multiple classes and doing other social things and feeling good about them and me. I am not noticing them taking any additional energy, rather, they are feeding my energy level and spirit. This is life going the right direction.

Now, to start writing to figure out what I want to focus on for November...

No comments:

Post a Comment