Thursday, October 9, 2014

I have a screw loose!

I have a screw loose. It would be funny if it wasn't so serious. I was scratching my head yesterday, which still has a lot of scabs on it trying to heal up and pulled on what I thought was a scab that felt loose. I can't see the wound, of course, which exists on the right side of my head from the front of my ear to almost the top of my head. When they did the surgery, they only clipped a little trail of hair, so my medium length hair appears intact to outsiders. Meaning anyone who is not in my body. I looked at the piece I pulled on and Oh. My. Heck. It was a tiny screw. That. Just. Came. Out. Of. My. Head.

Just to be clear. That is not supposed to happen.

What if the titanium plate it was holding decides to climb out of there next? Holy cow, we could be looking at a whole empty head where there is supposed to be reconstruction, people. I could start looking like a deflated grape. Heavens, I don't want to think about what that would do to my hair style.

I have been bellyaching about not being able to color my hair. Well, thank goodness I haven't. It is possible that I have some titanium plate EXPOSED. Yes, you heard me. Now, nobody panic. I am pretty sure that stuff does not take hair dye. So maybe it would have been okay. Nevermind that the brain may not have liked it. Much. It's a shy thing, I hear it likes to hide away in the dark and do it's job without too much fuss or bother. Certainly would prefer not to have anyone shining lights into it's little room.

So, it means another trip to Mayo. From Montana. To let the experts shine more lights into the brain's little room. No one likes it much, but we all do what we have to. And since everything else has been so, so good, this is just a little hiccup. I have to laugh or I'll cry.

I have felt so much better. I was to be back to work full time next week. I am really bummed to have to take any more time away from work. I have the best patients, the best workmates, and the most amazing nurse ever. It really is just a bummer. I am lucky to have the best in the world to work on my little brain so I won't complain. I'll just try to write so I don't think about it too much and try not to be too screwy in the meantime.

(If you aren't familiar with ROW 80, click on the link to the right to learn about it if you want)
ROW 80 Goals this week:
I wrote about 1000 words all together, need to get my act together and get my minimum 500 words a day.
I walked 1 of three days. I am back on antibiotics and waiting to see when I go back to Mayo so I am going to keep this goal but instead of walking one mile, I am going to say walk or exercise 30 minutes every day.
Editing, fell off and didn't do any editing these few days. Will do some today to get back to the goal.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, when you said you had a screw loose I really didn't expect it to be literally! I hope you get it sorted quickly. I'm impressed you got so many words written. Had I found a loose screw I would have been a jabbering wreck! The revised exercise plan sounds like a good idea. I look forward to checking in with you again, to see how you're doing. Take care :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have enough screws left to hold you together until you can get to the people who replace lost hardware!

    I'm sorry your plans for a full return to work have to be pushed back bit - but I'm glad you found the wandering screw rather than it falling out unnoticed...

    Given that your brain's feeling a little shy, and a screw's been lost, I think you've done very well. A certain amount of distraction does seem to be in order here...

    Even without random fasteners falling out of my skull, I have times when masses of words don't come. I fill from beneath the surface, and sometimes, what I need most is input.

    By the way, I love Montana. We lived there for a few years, while we worked in Yellowstone, and our oldest son was born there.

    May all the rest of your screws remain firmly in place!

    ReplyDelete