Sunday, October 5, 2014

Excited about editing?

New ROW 80 round!

I am getting excited about the rest of the year of writing. I wrote a novella of a little over 50,000 words during NaNo 2013 and promptly put it away to read/cringe over later.

I have been thinking about getting it out recently so I can write another book in the same series for NaNo 2014. It's amazing how quickly the characters fade. I thought I could do some editing and get reacquainted with the characters and perhaps improve on the story during October. I was so pleasantly surprised to see that it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The first 75 pages of 206 pages are salvageable. Yay! And I kind of like my quirky characters. Also yay.

So my first goal this round is going to be to finish reading through the entire book and reworking the plot into something tight and compelling. I intend to spend 10 hours per week for the next 2 weeks doing this and completing my character profiles for my next book.

Since I am recovering from brain surgery and starting to feel so much better, I would like to start an exercise routine as well. I realize this isn't strictly writing related, but I feel if I am in good physical shape, it will make writing more fun and efficient. Besides, I used to love to run and I could not run from a bear if it chased me right now. So, start out by walking at least 1 mile every day and build from there.

Writing project preparation. Since I am doing quite a bit of editing this month, I will prepare for NaNo and my next book in the series I have really started liking. My goal is to have multiple books in the series ready to go at the same time, so if someone likes one, they can keep reading. That's how I like to do it as a reader.

I love to read all of your posts. You all are so inspiring to me. I am quite new at writing as I have only been doing it for a few years with any seriousness. There is so much nuance and feeling to writing. It is much more difficult than I ever thought it would be. As a voracious reader for more than thirty years, it is easy to think that writing will be as easy as reading. That is just not so. I have such a newfound respect for writers, especially those that allow me to visualise what they are writing with punchy prose. I strive to have that kind of talent someday.  Last round of 2014, here we go!


8 comments:

  1. It's great to meet you :-) I'm new to ROW80, but I'm revved and ready to go! I look forward to catching up with you along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to "see" you, looking forward to a productive round!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the Nano project you are editing. It's always exciting when we can look back at our work and find wonderful surprises in it.

    I like that you're including an exercise goal as part of ROW80. I've seen other people do this and I'm thinking about doing that for this round. It's a great way to stay motivated and accountable with fitness goals. And a fit writer is a happy writer, in my opinion.

    Good luck with this round! I look forward to reading about your progress.

    --Denise D. Young

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the Nano project you are editing. It's always exciting when we can look back at our work and find wonderful surprises in it.

    I like that you're including an exercise goal as part of ROW80. I've seen other people do this and I'm thinking about doing that for this round. It's a great way to stay motivated and accountable with fitness goals. And a fit writer is a happy writer, in my opinion.

    Good luck with this round! I look forward to reading about your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Denise,
      After my surgery even 1 mile takes a lot out of me. I am looking forward to being able to run again. Maybe by the end of the round?

      Delete
  4. Good luck with the editing! I haven't touched my NaNo from 2013 since I fnished it, it will require so much editing! Maybe next round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, when you look at it, you will find it better than you thought, like I did!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete