Monday, January 6, 2014

New Year, Clean Slate

Finally, feeling better! I have been sick until today. Since last week. I hate being sick this long. It also means I haven't been able to do a really solid end of the year review. I don't do Resolutions, becuase I think having goals only once a year is silly. I have goals all year.

This year my word for the year is Intention. I intend it to be my guiding theme for the year.
1. Writing/Editing
     260,000 words (500,000 stretch goal)
     Edit 2 of the 5 books I intend to write this year.
2. Relationship work
     Make my husband and son a greater focus in my life
     This needs to be something we work on together, as I am not sure what is the most important thing to each of them. That is what I want to focus on this year.
3. Physical
    Move every day. Work counts as it takes up so much of my day, but I would like to work up to running on the treadmill in the morning before work. I watched a documentary about happiness. People who experience FLOW are happier. I experience FLOW when I run.
4. Organize
   10-30 minutes a day of cleaning the house and 2 big projects, the closet (clothes) and the storage room downstairs where all my stuff is languishing after my move...4 years ago.

How will I do it?
Goal notebook. I have always had a poster or a notebook that gives me the visual motivation I need
Plan every day. I'll use my journal and then take it with me so that I remember what I am trying to accomplish.
Affirmation/meditation daily. This will help me to stay less stressed out and advertise in my own brain the things I want.

This week: I am going to aim for 10,000 words by Friday.
I will plan food (daily menus) and write affirmations.
Here we gooo!

6 comments:

  1. Wait. You're going to write 260K words by the end of the year, or by the end of Round 1? Also: so impressed with your 10K words in a week goal! Holy cow! I am constantly exploring different ways of setting my own writing goals. Sometimes I go for word count, sometimes for amount of time spent showing up to writing, sometimes for finishing a draft of a story or a chapter. Maybe someday I'll find something that works consistently. Or maybe "consistently" is just not how I work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sione, my 260,000 word goal is for the year. I hope to make 500,000, though. I should have 120,000 words by the end of the round to be on track! This year is about intention for me, so I am going to be intentional about writing and about my other goals.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you're feeling better; I've been lucky enough not to get sick this winter beyond a couple headaches so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

    Your word goals make my eyes pop; good luck with them and all the rest of your goals this round/year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting that you posted about making more time with your husband and son, Rebecca. Interesting because it's something we made a point of doing more of this past holiday vacation... and the energy it has created in our household is wonderful. I definitely wish the same for you. I wish the same for all my friends and fellow writers and fellow women and men and..

    You get the picture.

    May you find that FLOW daily. And the joy of goals reached and surpassed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eden, thanks so much! The word of the year is intention. Sometimes I forget to do what's most important. Not this year, though.

    ReplyDelete